Jumping rope is an important staple for footwork, conditioning and coordination. Though it’s been around for a while, it’s still one of the best exercises for warming up your body and building your calves for faster feet! Crank up your favorite training playlist and try out this jump rope routine to spice it up!
- Minute 1: Standard two feet together jumping. Work on keeping your knees bent and making sure you’re jumping on the balls of your feet.
- Minute 2: Front to back. As the name implies, instead of jumping up and down in one place, your jumps should go slightly forward and backward. Each time you jump your feet should alternate between landing slightly in front of where you were standing and slightly behind.
- Minute 3: Side to side. Visualize a line between your feet and this time jump right to left to either side of that line. This variation not only improves your footwork but also works those oblique muscles!
- Minute 4: Running in place. With this variation you’re running in place while jumping rope. Focus on getting your knees high for extra intensity!
- Minute 5: Double unders. This one will get your heart pumping! Make sure the rope passes under your feet twice for every jump. This will force you to jump higher and really work those calves while getting the extra calorie burn!
This is a super effective warm up for any training routine that will improve your footwork, speed, cardio and balance. You can also repeat the entire set multiple times for a single cardio workout!